Status Update: Caribbean Bowl Review

Happy Herbivore Light & Lean: Over 150 Low-Calorie Recipes with Workout Plans for Looking and Feeling Great - Lindsay S. Nixon

*I'll be updating this periodically as I test out the recipes. New updates will be at the very end.

I lucked out and bought this on the Kindle for only $2.99 (now it'll cost you $9.99 for an ebook, what?!)

There is a very handy shopping list in the beginning of the book, some blah, blah info about caloric density which I tuned out because I'm not really interested in all that and the author's journey from yo-yo dieter to healthy vegan where she states that Skinny Bitch was one of the books that set her on the path to wellness. I have to admit this scared me. I despise that damn Skinny Bitch book.  It's filled with craptastic recipes that use a ton of processed faux food. I couldn't get it out of my house fast enough. Anyway, no worries. This author uses mainly whole foods so I will give it a go.

I have realized I absolutely do NOT enjoy reading cookbooks on my Ipad and I'm a little PO'd that I am unable (either due to my incompetence or some Kindle App fuckery) that I am unable to print any of the recipes. This makes it near impossible for me to use. I am blind as a freaking bat and have to have that Kindle App close to my face so putting it near me on the counter when I am cooking is not going to happen. I am not putting my Ipad's life in jeopardy to make dinner. I have four cats that will gleefully knock it on the floor and I am a complete disaster in the kitchen, dropping things and splattering food to and fro with reckless abandon (my clean up crew, the dogs, love it when I cook). None of these things are the books fault, of course, but it might explain why it has taken me months to finally attempt one of the recipes.

So last night after typing up one of the recipes (seriously, in 2014!) and printing it out and putting it in a protective sleeve to keep it safe from my slobbery, I tried the Caribbean Bowl. Naturally, it is one of the most calorie dense recipes in this  book :)

It contains cooked quinoa, steamed kale, pineapple, pineapple salsa, black beans, green onions and I added in some lime juice, avocado and a few big dashes of smoked chile pepper because everything is better with a little spice, right?

The verdict? One child did not like it. She took a few bites and gave the rest to the dogs.

"I don't like sweet and savory or pineapples in my dinner."

Fantastic! This is why I go through so much trouble.

My son and husband who are carnivores and usually throw some chicken on top of any vegan dish I cook, raved and raved about it. I don't know if they actually loved it (though they did put a big dent in the bowl and ate it for lunch the next day) or if they're maybe a little afraid of me. Either way I'm just happy they didn't attempt passing it off the dogs.

I thought it was tasty though next time I would lighten up on the lime juice and add more pineapple salsa. It was a bit tart for me but again that's on me, not the recipe. I give it 4 1/2 stars. It was good, it was easy and I will make it again.

More later. Perhaps sooner if some kind soul can explain to me how I can print out these recipes!

Later is here. I made these Pumpkin Pancakes yesterday.

It's kind of difficult to screw up pancakes and these were good. The recipe calls for 1 TBS of baking powder (or soda, I can't remember now), 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of non-dairy milk, pumpkin, spices, brown sugar and a pinch o' salt.  Hmmm, I was skeptical when the batter was so thick it resembled the consistency of cookie dough so I added more milk and they came out alright. They are on the heftier side and super filling. They could've used a little more cooking time (instructions say 2-3 mins on each side) because some of the middles were a wee bit undone.  4 *'s  Quick & tasty & I'll make 'em again.