Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides - A Rambling Mess of a Review In Reverse

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides, Kristoffer Tabori

My final update: Whelp, I finished but I can't sit here and say it was all fun and games. This book was work to finish. I'm sticking with my 3 star rating. In the end, it had moments of interest, moments of tedium and I felt that it was far too long for a book that didn't grab me emotionally. Ah well, many folks love it so don't listen to me.

Update 5/18/15: Take 2. I'm trying this book on audio this time around and am nearly finished. Yay for audio. It is a very long book, rich in characterization and historical detail and I'm glad I gave it a second chance (actually this is the third chance, I quit it on audio a year or so ago too chalking it up to my mood). It still has its slow bits, which is why I couldn't finish it in paper, but I'll probably be adjusting my rating from a 3 to a 4. Once I got over the hump of Cal's pre-teen life which stopped me dead both times, the book hooked me again.

My old comments are below.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2-12-08 This is a gripping read. I say that because I have to keep putting it down for various reasons and I haven't felt the urge to put it down for good which is what I usually do when I have to read books off and on for a month. It tells the story of a hermaphrodite, or more correctly tells the story of how he came to be (I'm on page 150 and the narrator hasn't even been born yet). The book is more of a family saga beginning with the history of his incestuous grandparents who escape war torn Asia Minor to travel to America where the brother and sister reinvent themselves and become husband and wife. I haven't read a family saga in ages and they really aren't my thing but the writing here is just so interesting. The historical details, the characters who continually surprise me and the humor keep me coming back to this book when I should be sleeping.

Later:
I reluctantly admit that I did give up on this book. I found the early bits about Cal's grandparents fascinating but lost interest as they aged and the focus turned to Cal's successful suburban parents who bored me. Maybe someday I'll pick it back up but for now I've moved onto other things