Fog Warning by Edward Lorn (Audiobook)

Fog Warning - Edward Lorn, Kevin R. Tracy

A handsome doctor decides to eff up his life by taking prescriptions drugs. His drug addled state is noticed by co-workers in the ER but no one speaks up and he quickly spirals into full blown addiction. Walking home one night through a thick fog, he finds a woman’s dead body but when the police arrive to investigate there is no body and because he’s acting all suspicious-like he ends up landing himself in a jail cell and things go downhill from there. Did he see a dead body, was it the drug haze or perhaps a ghostie or was she just playing?

This dude is a mess. I’m not going to lie, I find it hard to sympathize with people who screw up their lives so badly and sabotage every effort to fix things. I didn’t sympathize with this guy. I don’t think I was supposed to. His mess was of his own making. I know, I know, I have no heart. There is no need to point it out. With that out of the way, I did find myself engrossed in his mess of a life. The story moved at a good pace, there were some twists, clever dialogue and some nastiness and I couldn’t stop listening even when I should have. If you’ve read a dark book or two you know there are some scenes that one can never scrub clean from the memory, even if your memory is as bad as mine, and this book contains one. Ick.

I listened to this story as an unabridged audiobook which I won in a giveaway over at Booklikes. The narrator is deadly serious and was a very good choice for this story.