8 Books To Read When Life Is Too Good

If you're too happy with your life here are a few suggestions that'll change your attitude. Please be aware that nearly all of these books contain some sort of trigger which may or may not be revealed in my review depending upon how lazy I was at the time. Clicking on the book covers will bring you to my review at my blogger blog (sorry still too lazy to reformat) or at GR.

The Girl Next Door by Jack KetchumChase in Shadow by Amy LaneGeek Love

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara:  You can blame this book for the existence of this list. This one will most definitely adjust your happy-go-lucky attitude and throw you straight into a pit of despair. It's over 700 pages too so there's lots of time to straighten you right out!

The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum: This is a "Girl" book that is very unlike all of the others that have arrived in recent years. The worst of humanity is on display here and there are things here that can never be unread. Even worse than the long drawn out torture in the final act, is the fact that the story is based on real events.

Chase In Shadow by Amy Lane:  This story is filled with despair, angst, pent up emotion and when you're done you'll likely be an emotional wreck. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn:  I love this book so very much but I can't lie, it is a rough read. Two selfish parents do all sorts of terrible things to create their own little freakshow. As the children grow, terrible things happen to them and they do terrible things to others. If your childhood was a nightmare, this book may feel like home.

Halfway HumanA Parcel of PatternsYear of WondersOut

Halfway Human by Carolyn Ives Gilman:  A scifi tale where there are three types of beings; males, females and the blands who serve them.  Trust me you do not want to be a bland. Especially an attractive one. . .

A Parcel of Patterns by Jill Paton Walsh:  Think your younger years were rough? Try growing up during the Bubonic Plague!

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks:  This is another plague book that'll make you thankful a plague hasn't struck us.  Yet . . .

Out by Natsuo Kirino:  This is a fantastic tale of desperation about a group of late shift female co-workers at a boxed lunch factory and the lengths they go to in order to make some extra cash. Whenever I get down on my job, I remember these ladies!

I'm drawn to these types of books, for some bizarre reason, so a Part 2 will be coming soon. If you've read any books that made you lose the will to live please share the love!