Yay, 2017 is Finally Over!

Have I told you how much I despise composing wrap-up posts? No, well I do. These things are work which is probably why I haven't done one since March! I love reading them but composing them, ugh, they are far too much work for my lazy self. Fortunately I had a snow day yesterday and had some time to get my act together.

Somehow I managed to finish up 72 books which was just three books shy of my original goal. I guess that isn't too bad since I hit a slump in October that lasted through December. I read a good mix of genres thanks to audiobooks but mostly stuck to my horror roots in the latter half of the year.

• I read 59 new to me authors! That's not too shabby.
  • I had 8 five star reads! Also not too shabby taking into consideration what a grouch I am.
  • 33 earned four stars
  • 21 earned three stars
  • 5 earned two stars
  • 0 earned one star because I learned to DNF!
  • 5 of them were DNF's
  • My biggest disappointment would have to be The Bird Eater because I wanted to love so damn bad and I just couldn't.

The Best of the Best of My 2017 Reads
(click on cover to read my full review)

Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier

Bones Would Rain from the Sky

This is a book about our relationships with dogs. There are beautiful insights about animal and human behavior inside the pages and it basically comes to down to treating those you love with kindness, empathy and sharing all of your love in order to strengthen your relationship. That’s advice the world needs to hear. This book will be a yearly reread for me, for sure.

Garden of Fiends by Mark Matthews

Garden of Fiends

I have a love/hate thing going on with short story collections because I usually have to wade through a bunch of dreck to get to the good stuff. But that was not the case with this one. It is a truly excellent collection of short stories all of them about the struggle of addiction. They all have a horror twist and there isn’t a dud in the bunch.

Puss in Prada by Marie Jacquelyn

Puss In Prada

This novella was such a cute and surprising little romance about a finicky cat man and his ex-lover. I picked it up somewhere as freebie and honestly wasn't expecting all that much.  It has a spiteful witch, magic and a feisty little cat man. What's not to love?

The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman

The Lesser Dead

My friend Char @ Char's Horror Corner loved this book and she and I have very similar taste. I listened on audio and it was everything she said it would be. Sarcastic, imaginative, gross and so much bloodsucking fun. Honestly, how can you resist a book whose hero is named Joey Peacock?

Blanky by Kealan Patrick Burke

Blanky

I read this book for a book tour hosted by Confessions of a Reviewer. I don't participate in book tours often and only agree to do so after I research the author's previous work because I am truly greedy with my spare time and don't want to be forced into finishing a dud. This book was anything but a dud. It is gutting. If you like horror and are up for a grief drenched read, you must read it.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

We Have Always Lived In the Castle

This was a re-listen for the Goodreads Horror Aficionados monthly group read. Merricat and her creepy old house and deep dark secrets were just as riveting the second time around. If you haven't read this classic yet it is a MUST.

Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco

Burnt Offerings

This is one of those books I'd been wanting to read for ages. I saw the movie as a kid and only had very fuzzy memories lingering around the edges of it being super creepy and maybe giving me a nightmare or two. I was a little worried it would be too old fashioned, slow and, dare I say it, boring because I'd read a few oldies prior to this (I'm looking at you Audrey Rose) and they didn't live up to the hype or my vague memories of scariness. This one, though, this one wasn't any of those things.It was fantastic!

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks

The Wife Between Us

I won this book from Bookish First after writing a mini review of the excerpt. Weird concept, I know, but I won a genuine book and it was amazing so you will hear no more complaints from me!  It's rife with secrets and lies and deceptions and the women were actually sympathetic instead of being complete and total hot messes. I've noticed now that many people dislike it but I it and nothing I hear will change my mind!

The  4 Stars

Furiously Happy by Jenny LawsonBagged by the Groceries! by Fannie TuckerAntique Dust by Robert WestallDisappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul TremblaySweetheart, Sweetheart by Bernard TaylorSwapship Troopers by Walker LongCan't Touch This by Tess HunterYour Soul Was Made for Mine by C.L. HunterDeath Before Decaf by Caroline FardigAs Luck Would Have It by Alissa JohnsonLittle Dead Red by Mercedes M. YardleyToken by Kelly GendronStrays by Garrett LeighThreshold by Jordan L. HawkRescuing Finley by Dan WalshThe Boyfriend Makeover by Marc BachmannHer Name in the Sky by Kelly QuindlenHell Cat of the Holt (a novella) by Mark CassellThe Fourth Monkey by J.D. BarkerConjesero by Carl AlvesBehold! Oddities, Curiosities and Undefinable Wonders by Doug MuranoThe Well by Marie SextonDark Matter by Blake CrouchPrawn of the Dead by Dakota CassidyFidget Spinners Destroyed My Family by George BillionsIt by Stephen KingThe Halloween Children by Brian James FreemanGwendy's Button Box by Stephen KingYou Will Know Me by Megan AbbottA Man Called Ove by Fredrik BackmanDream Woods by Patrick LaceyHow Not to Run A B&B by Bobby HutchinsonWonder by R.J. Palacio

The Smack in the Middle 3's

The Turner House by Angela FlournoyNightmares by Ellen DatlowFive Stories High by Jonathan OliverCoco Butternut by Joe R. LansdaleLet Us Prey by Jamie Lee ScottThe Woodsman by Belle ScarlettHome Tears by TijanLast Night with the Duke by Amelia GreyThe Party by Robyn HardingKillers of the Flower Moon by David GrannDark Water by K.L. WhiteSouljacker by Yasmine GalenornPound of Flesh by Jessa KaneMrs. Fletcher by Tom PerrottaThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonAudrey Rose by Frank De FelittaHell House by Richard MathesonHalloween Carnival Volume 1 by Robert McCammonFunny Amazon Reviews by Jane LynchFitness Junkie by Lucy SykesBest Day Ever by Kaira Rouda

The 2 Star's

The Wrong Girl by C.J. ArcherNo Ifs, Ands, or Bears About It by Celia KyleEmphatic by Kaylee RyanAmerican Queen by Sierra SimoneThe Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn

The Unfinishables

Fellside by M.R. CareySnow by Ronald MalfiThe Unhandsome Prince by John MooreThe Chemist by Stephenie MeyerMy Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

Now it's back to hibernating!