The Beast of Brenton Woods by Jackson R. Thomas

The Beast of Brenton Woods - Jackson R. Thomas

There is a werewolf on the loose and he’s got murder, food and procreating on the brain!

If you want a fast paced, action-packed, blood-soaked read and are sick and tired of watered down monsters you should give this one a go. I think you will be very satisfied. There are a few people who accidentally get in his path but, for the most part, his victims are no big loss to society.

This story is more than just people eating fun though and that’s why I liked it. There’s some good characterization, realistic dialogue and interesting plot threads here too. There’s a young boy who feels a weird connection to this monster and thinks his momma is keeping secrets and there’s a teenager who has a heart of gold and risks everything to save his feckless sister. It’s good to have a couple of good guys to root for in this cruel, cruel world.

This reminded me slightly of a Richard Laymon story, what with the pervy men and stupid people, but it wasn’t nearly as in your face with it all and there wasn’t all the rump and boob talk that Laymon loved so much. I enjoyed it without ever wanting to murder one of the characters myself.

My only minor issue was the plethora of characters. There were a lot of them in this novella and sometimes I struggled trying to remember who was who but maybe that’s due to my crappy memory and the fact that I couldn’t finish it in a sitting or two.

At any rate, it’s a solid four star read and recommended for you beast lovers!