Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier

Jar of Hearts - Jennifer Hillier

This book is a few different things and miraculously I loved them all. It’s a mystery, it’s an acclimating to prison life tale, and it’s a love story gone about as wrong as a love story can go! It’s dark and it’s addictive and it’s getting all the stars I have to give.

Georgina, Angela and Kaiser (Kai) were the best of friends in high school but when Georgina starts seeing an older guy, everything gets all messed up. One of them dies, one later goes to prison and another ends up being the arresting officer. There’s also a recent spate of atrocious serial killings that may be connected to the past murder . . .

The big draw here is finding out the why just as much as the who. Why did one of these friends die? What really happened that night? Who is keeping secrets? And, who is killing innocents in the modern day? Also, why is Angela such a bitch? That one is never answered, she just is! None of it makes sense until the very end where it all comes together in a glorious rush of craziness that worked for me in every way.

Most of these characters are imperfect and awful, cruel, jealous, vindictive and selfish but I could not, did not want, to stop reading for a moment. This book is so addictive. If you like this stuff, you MUST read it.

“Because that smell – of rotting flesh, of rotting soul – is you.”