Kilty As Charged by Amy Vansant

Kilty As Charged - Amy Vansant

I read this book for my local reading group. There are seven of us. Three of us finished this book and none of us are reading the sequel.

Now I’ll be fair here. This is a book featuring a time-travelling, kilt wearing Scottish Highlander who says things like, “Dinnae ye want to see mah wizard’s wand?”and I bored of these suckers about a decade ago. I didn’t have good thoughts going in but once I was in I decided to stick with it because it was only mildly irritating and, at times, slightly entertaining and I thought I was going to have to converse about its plot intricacies or lack thereof (turns out the other 2 had nothing at all to say).

Catriona is a “fixer” for wealthy movie people. She’s used to dealing with odd requests and weirdos so when she discovers a man wearing a kilt on set, with nothing on underneath, she gives that naked bum a smack to get it and his “twigs and berries”moving.

Well, wouldn’t you?

Catriona thinks, “She made it a point to know everyone on the lot who was someone. This guy was no one.”

Ugh.

Turns out he isn’t your average, everyday nobody, of course. He’s a time-travelling Scottish mercenary and they have an adventure to go on. Or something like that.

There is a lot of time spent ogling his bod but there’s some other stuff happening too. Just don’t ask me what it is because I read this last week and the details have already fled in terror from my head. I do remember that there is a villain and his two inept sidekicks who belong in a remake of Home Alone instead of inside a novel written in 2016.

To wrap this up, silliness happens, sexual encounters almost happen, and they insult each other and pretend they don’t find each other attractive and there’s tons of awkward dialogue there to stumble over. I honestly believe that I am too grouchy for this book. I am totally, 100% the wrong audience and will not deny that. I found it contrived and not funny. I think it tried way too hard to be cutesy and ended up annoying the heck out of me. But even more annoying was the fact that NONE of my questions were answered when I turned the last page because there is a sequel. There is no real character depth or relationship development either but if you’re looking for a read so light and free of substance that it may fly away, this might be the thing for you.

But don't trust me as the final word. Apparently, I am in the minority, as usual.