Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Bird Box - Josh Malerman
I saw the film before reading the book because I figured my wait at the library would last an eternity. It didn’t because this is how my life works and now I’ve gone and spoiled everything for myself!

Actually, the film is quite a bit different from the movie. The bones are the same but characters, deaths, and many other plot points are very different so it was almost like reading something that wasn’t totally spoiled for me. The only slightly disappointing thing to me was the fact that the threat went unexplained in either version. I was hoping for a little enlightenment because I like answers. Instead I am just going to assume it was Cthulhu's minions come to call and call it a day because that works for me.

As for the audio? It kept me entertained and the narrator was competent and professional but I didn’t feel she voiced Malorie in a strong enough way. With that said, I never wanted to pull the plug and listen to something else and that’s saying something because the last audio I read was rewound at least eight times. At one point I had to rewind 7 hours because I had tuned out. I wish I were kidding (curse you, Ghost Story!).

The characters in Bird Box weren’t as fleshed out as I’d hoped. I didn’t get to know much about Tom besides the fact that he was wise and kind and a natural leader and I was disappointed that the kids weren’t fleshed out at all. Malorie was a sympathetic character because of her predicament but I never felt a strong emotional attachment to anyone which is a bit of shame and a bit of a missed opportunity. Still, the story and atmosphere and creepfest of a plotline almost made up for that fact.