My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite

My Sister, the Serial Killer - Oyinkan Braithwaite

I was pretty sure I knew what I was getting myself into when I picked up this book. It is called MY SISTER, THE SERIAL KILLER, after all, and I wasn’t disappointed!

This is a tale of two sisters bonded by sisterhood, an abusive childhood and murder. One sister is the beautiful, flighty one. The other is the responsible, devoted one. One of them gets rid of pesky boyfriends with the help of a handy knife. The other helps hide the bodies. But when the knife wielding one sets her sights on the crush of her sister, things go awry.

This book, despite it being about a serial killer, is not overly gory nor is it very bloody. Parts of it are even darkly comical. Most have classified it over on Goodreads as a thriller or a mystery and it’s a little bit of both but it’s mainly a story about familial bonds and the lasting effects of childhood trauma with a bit of sociopathy thrown in there. It is told in a very entertaining way so you won’t feel as if your soul has been ripped out of you when you turn the last page. I enjoyed every fascinating word of this complicated relationship and highly recommend it to every weirdo like me who enjoys similar things.

“We are nothing if not thorough in the deception of others.”