The Perfect Liar by Thomas Christopher Greene

The Perfect Liar - Thomas Christopher Greene

Susannah is a widow with a teenage son who wasn’t expecting romance. Then she meets Max after he’s crashed a party to meet an important person in the art world. Even though their first meeting is a little bit shady, if you ask me (but I am a suspicious type), they quickly fall in love and marry and live the lives of successful, wealthy art people in a beautiful home in Vermont.

Blech. Sounds totally boring right?! Well, no worries. It isn’t long before a note shows up on the front door saying, “I know who you are” and all that gooey perfection is shot to hell.

Max has secrets. Susannah has secrets. Watching them both squirm and plan and seeing their perfect little lives unravel is so much fun, even more so if you have a little evil inside you. And you’re reading this, so you probably do!

I’m not afraid to admit that I didn’t like any of these characters very much but that’s beside the point. I’m sure I wasn’t supposed to. Suzanna is very strange and difficult to get a read on but that wasn’t a bad thing because her character kept me guessing. The kid is a bratty teen for most of the book until we finally get a wee bit of his past and see things from his point of view. And then there’s Max. I won’t spoil Max for you. Max is Ted Talk famous and he’s a guy who takes care of business and I will leave it at that. You should read about him for yourself if this sounds at all interesting to you.

The pace is pretty quick and I never found myself drifting off and thinking about all the cat boxes I need to clean when I get home from work so that’s an indicator of a good book for me. The fun here is trying to figure out who is the biggest and best liar and delving into all of their dark corners. If you enjoy these kinds of books, I think you’ll dig this one. It’s darker than some and for that I am thankful! There are some bits that require you to leave your brain at the door and the ending wasn’t a huge surprise for anyone who reads a steady of diet of these and pays attention to the clues but I have no major complaints about it. It was a dark little diversion and one I can easily recommend to others who like this stuff.

I listened to this story in its unabridged audiobook version narrated by Tavia Gilbert who did a fantastic job with the voices and bringing the emotions (and sometimes lack there-of) to life for all of the characters.