Call Me Evie by J.P Pomare

Call Me Evie - J.P. Pomare

“We all develop our own little movements and habits to keep the ugly parts hidden.”

This is a book where all of the characters appear to be unreliable narrators. I mean, seriously, every last one of them. They are all shady and untrustworthy at some moment in time. If this doesn’t bother you, and it doesn’t always bother me, you may love this but ONLY if you don’t mind being thrown smack into the middle of a story and being confused for nearly all of it. That’s the part that I didn’t like too much. It hurt my brain and it was very difficult to get to know and understand the characters and even harder to emphasize with them or even dislike them because you never knew what was real and what wasn’t. After a bit of this, I became bored. This might be better on a reread when my brain is ready for it but this time around I found myself being pulled away and having to rewind the audio on several occasions.

The story is told in two sections. The NOW and the BEFORE. Many stories are told in this format but there was something about this one that left me feeling completely out of the loop. I suppose that was the point but it didn’t work for me this time. The BEFORE is filled with some mostly minor teen drama and the AFTER is about a teen who may or may not be a captive of a man named “Jim” or at the very least is being held somewhat against her will, being force fed drugs and is on the lam and hiding after a terrible deed was done. Maybe?!  Maybe not! Obviously things happened in the time between the before and the after but they are doled out super slowly throughout the course of the book. If you have patience all will be revealed. I had the patience, believe it or not, but some of the reveals weren’t so great. Or maybe I’m just not so great at reading books written like this. Either way it is getting two and a half stars from me. You may enjoy it more than I did. Most people seem to. I felt completely off-kilter during the entire thing and I didn’t like that feeling but that’s just me and the way I am. Also, a dog is put in peril due to someone’s complete stupidity and I didn’t like that at all. Be warned. I wish I had been warned. Please warn me next time, friends.