Snake Eyes by Joseph d'Lacey (GR Cleanup Project)

Snake Eyes - Joseph D'Lacey

I guess I'll just call these lost little reviews my GR Cleanup Project. I'm trying to tag and categorize all of my older reviews that never made the transition from GR or made it here but are all kinds of messed up. My apologies if you've seen these elsewhere.

Snake Eyes contains two unrelated novellas by Joseph D’Lacey who wrote Meat which is one of the most disturbing pieces of fiction I’ve ever read. These two stories are very different from Meat.

When A Man of Will and Experience began I assumed it was going to be a wink and a nod to B-movie man eating monster spiders but it soon morphed into an intricate, serious and layered story that, admittedly, left me in a state of confusion. Robert Johnson is the key character and spiders run throughout the story but as things progress the plot continually takes odd twists and changes in a mind-bending sci-fi fashion. I was left pondering what was real and what was a dream or a hallucination.

I am easily confused and though parts of this story grabbed me, particularly the beginning and the eerie tube-people storyline, as it went along I just couldn’t comprehend too much of it and it read more like a bizarro story which I wasn’t quite expecting.

A Trespasser In Long Lofting was much more my style. It’s odd too but filled with humorous scenes, wacky characters and was a lot of fun to read.

A demon crash lands in a drought-riddled little town full of hungry somewhat daft townspeople who act practically and decide to eat it. As you can imagine, getting a demon ready for slaughter isn’t as simple as carving up a cow into delectable cuts of edible goodness. They quickly learn they’ve made a grave error and once the womenfolk get a gander at the size of the demon’s dong chaos and hilarity ensue. I will say no more so as not to spoil fun. This story was colorful and memorable and worth the price of admission. I thoroughly enjoyed the humorous dialogue, some of which I really have to remember to use in real life.

Don’t you be late for your lunch, Delly Duke, or I’ll paddle your bumcakes rosey.

Hee, hee, she actually said “bumcakes".