MirrorMask by Neil Gaiman (GR Cleanup)

MirrorMask: The Illustrated Film Script - Neil Gaiman,  Dave McKean,  Read by Stephanie Leonidas

GR Cleanup. Originally read in Sept. 2011

I think I did myself a disservice by listening to this story as an audiobook instead of checking out the actual illustrated book. I have a sneaking suspicion the illustrations enhance much of the story, which felt a bit bare bones without them, and that I've missed out on the full experience.

Basically MirrorMask tells the tale of a young girl growing up in a travelling circus and starting to rebel and wanting "a real life". After she has a horrible fight with her mother and says something ugly, her mom falls ill and needs surgery. Helena then has a dream-like (is it real or no?) adventure where she enters another realm and realizes a doppleganger has taken over her life. With the help of a masked-boy named Valentine she sets out to find a mirrormask to set things right.

This audio is very short and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Gaiman's Coraline. It was beautifully read by the narrator as well as imaginative and full of adventure and riddles but there simply wasn't enough character development for my liking and I didn't understand why Valentine's betrayal is glossed over and forgiven so instantaneously. It weakened Helena in my eyes a bit.