The Red Heart of Jade - Marjorie M. Liu I’ve only read Marjorie Liu’s Crimson series entry but enjoyed her voice so much I decided to pull this book from the pile (well, there’s that and the fact that my friend has patiently been waiting for me to return it for months). I’m afraid I may have picked the wrong book from the pile this time around.

Reading the first chapter was a real chore because, for some reason, I could not fall into the story. It starts out introducing Dean who apparently is a hunky agent who does some sort of police/detective/clean-up work for some secret paranormal goings-on society. You’ll have to pardon my ignorance here because I haven’t read the previous two books in the series but after a few restarts due to boredom I was mostly able to figure things out. Someone (or some creature) has been incinerating bodies over town and he’s hot on the trail. As he’s doing his investigative work in Taipei, and using his otherworldly powers of clairvoyance, he realizes that his first love, whom he believed was dead, may still be alive.

Later, I read another chapter or two but gave up when I consistently found myself drifting away and having to restart. The characters and storyline just didn't hook me in any way and I have very little patience. I have way too many books sitting here waiting to be read and this one will take me six months to get through at this rate.