Into the Wilderness - Sara Donati I read this as an unabridged audiobook and it seemed like tape one consisted of author thank you's and an unending listing of family trees involved in her story and I assumed I'd be in way over my head with this one. I was right.

Elizabeth is a 29 year old spinster who wants nothing more than her independence and to teach young children. With this in mind, she sets out into the wilderness that is "Paradise" to join her father and brother. What she doesn't know is that her father who faces financial ruin has arranged to marry her off to the local doctor with the promise of bequeathing half of his large land holdings to her. She's livid and attracted to a man most unsuitable . . .

Nathaniel, who was raised by Native Americans is just as attracted to Elizabeth. Her tart tongue and independence intrigue him as much as her looks but he knows their attraction can only lead to pain. When Elizabeth discovers her father's plan she's already fallen deeply in love with Nathaniel and decides to concoct a little deception of her own which will enable Nathaniel to have the land he so longs to make his own. But things aren't going to go smoothly for all involved as the doctor is determined to have the land no matter the cost . . .

This is a fictional story filled with historical information and action-adventure along the lines of Diana Gabaldon (minus the paranormal bits). It's long but interesting and the characters leap off the page but somewhere midpoint this book just didn't resonate with me the way I expected it to.

It was readable but not exceptionally gripping. The love story didn't touch me emotionally and it's just too darn long. I appreciate the attention to detail but without the characters engaging me it became an almost tedious read. The two are very realistically painted but for some reason are leaving me cold. If I had read this in book form I probably would have put it down midpoint and never picked it up again.