Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert For most of this book I did not like this author much at all. I thought she came across as whiny, full of herself, spoiled and very self-centered. It sounded as if she got married without thinking it through. I was very annoyed with the fact that she never gave a valid reason for leaving her husband and only hinted at the fact that they didn't get along, he was a jerk, etc. and this sent her spiraling into a pool of self-pity. She said something along the lines of not wanting to bad mouth him. So, reading between the lines (because that was the only thing I could do) it read as if she simply grew bored of him, then immediately fell head over heels for someone new and the ex got angry and gave her a bad time. And this surprised her? Then she spends a huge part of her trip moaning about her love life like a girl in a chick lit novel. It grew very tiresome . . . And don't get me started on her thoughts on God. One moment she doesn't know what to believe or if she believes and the next she's praying like there's no tomorrow and begging God to please, please, please make her divorce final immediately. Like God has nothing better to do than make sure her hubby signs the papers. Self centered much?

After the mess of the divorce, she goes on all expenses paid trip to Italy, eating up a storm, and yet she remains miserable. She visits India where she eventually learns to quiet her mind but it takes an excruciatingly long time. I was disappointed that she didn't go into more descriptive detail about India since I'll probably never get the chance to visit, and spent too much time journaling the day to day thoughts passing through her head. Her conversations with her pal from Texas were cute but I wanted to know more about India. Things only began to turn around for me during the end of her stay in India. Finally, when she arrives in Bali I actually began to enjoy the book. It seemed the whole tone changed as she realized she didn't need to focus so much on the past, on her men (or lack thereof), on her mistakes, etc. and began instead focusing on her surroundings and the people she meets in Bali. She did a great job bringing Bali, its people and its customs and rituals to life and I do think she grew and changed as a person which I'm sure was the whole point of the book. I'm glad I stuck with it because it did have some very beautiful descriptive passages and insights and some very funny moments but if I ever had the urge to reread it I would start somewhere around disk 6 and skip all of the annoying drivel.