The Devil's Waltz - Anne Stuart Annelise Kempton is 29, on the shelf and happy to remain that way. Though high born, she's pretty much destitute and accepts a post at the Chipple residence where she will guide young Hetty Chipple, an extraordinary beauty who is clueless when it comes to matters of respectability, so that she will find a reputable husband. Annelise has her work cut out for her. Hetty may be the most beautiful creature alive but she's also young and naive and too tempting a morsel for a destitute rake named Christian Montcalm. Annelise is bound and determined to keep Hetty away from those tempting lips of Christian and is annoyed when she finds herself attracted to him (guess she thought she was immune). Christian is just as attracted to Annelise but then Christian seems to be attracted to anything female . . .

This book has wit and sparkle and a nice battle of wills that I find lacking in so many books I attempt to read. The hero continued to be an unapologetic jerk throughout the story but I think that's what made the story so attractive to me. I couldn't wait to turn the pages to see what awful thing he was going to say and/or do next. If the end wraps everything up a little too unbelievably for me, that's okay because it entertained me and that's why I continue to read.

The ladies in my reading group who read this book, our group is more of a social hour, all agreed that the hero was a real jerk but despite his personality flaws we still liked him. Not many author's could have pulled that off so I'll be looking up more of Anne Stuart's work in the future.