Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America - Barbara Ehrenreich This book is about America's working poor and though I found it interesting it is only a very small window into the lives of these people. The author has many advantages over her co-workers and this shows through loud and clear during her experiment. She also has a somewhat elitist attitude towards those she works with and constantly reminds us of her education and how "over-qualified" she is for many of these jobs.

No doubt, it will surely be an eye opening book for those who have never had the experience of growing up in this sort of situation. For me it was an all too painful reminder of my early years and the horrible job at a fast-food joint where I worked double shifts, was often called a peon by management and went home smelling and feeling like I'd been dipped in the fry-o-later all for a measly pittance. Finishing school and taking a few college courses changed the course of my life but many don't have this option or realize it too late when they're already saddled with children and debt. It's difficult to advance past an entry level job when one needs such luxuries as food and shelter and then if you throw children into the mix things are pretty glum. This author hasn't a clue about the true working poor, she has a stash of cash and car available at all times. This book mainly made me sad, frustrated and aggravated but there were a few moments of light and genuine human kindness that did keep me reading.

In the end this book turns out to be all about one woman's very limited experience as "the working poor" who rushed back to her "upper middle class" lifestyle to make some bucks off of this book. Blech.