Life Support - Tess Gerritsen This abridged recording begins when an underage prostitute is delivered to her client. She’s immediately put off by the sleazy location but plays along entering a white walled room filled only with a bright light and what appears to be a doctor’s examination table. She hops up on the table as instructed but is soon sucking in noxious fumes and knocked unconscious . . .

Next we meet Dr. Toby Harper who works the graveyard shift in the emergency room. One night an old man appears in the ER with no apparent illness besides a penchant for stripping off his clothes in public and a bit of disorientation. As Toby goes about examining him his leg starts to twitch. She’s called out on another call and when she returns he has disappeared and Toby is held responsible. Soon another old man arrives (who was, coincidentally, living in the same fancy retirement community as the first mystery man) with similar symptoms but this man dies. Toby is suspicious, orders an autopsy and does some snooping around on her own when she is met with unreasonable resistance to her questions. It seems that some experimentation with prolonging life has been going on at the retirement home with frightening side effects. When Toby eventually discovers a bit of what has been going on her own life becomes endangered.

This was an interesting medical thriller with an engaging protagonist but once Tape 2 begins the abridgment becomes very apparent. Events begin to happen fast and furiously and characterization is minimal. For the most part, the cuts necessary for this abridgment are smooth but I did find myself left a bit confused on more than one occasion and would’ve loved to have gotten to know all of the players a bit better. If I stumble across an uncut version of “Life Support” I’ll definitely check it out to read all that I missed.