The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing - Melissa Bank I liked the overall format of this book and enjoyed the way each separate story stands alone while coming together as whole (with the exception of one where the point of view switches to the neighbors ~ this one threw me for a few pages). The stories were interesting little slice of life pieces laced with humor and sorrow. It was a very quick read for me and I’m a terribly slow reader.

Jane won me over immediately when she’s first introduced as a witty and observant teenager. Each story took an interesting look at relationships and even though Jane runs in a world much different than the one I inhabit, I enjoyed watching her mature and stumble her way through all sorts of different relationships and career woes. Her bluntness and wicked sense of humor kept me turning the pages even when she embarked on the hopeless romance that gave me a bad case of the creeps found in the chapter entitled “My Old Man”. I’ve read a review or two complaining about the last chapter but I enjoyed it, even as it exasperated me and tried my patience. I felt it brought the book to a pleasant, uplifting conclusion and it felt very true to life.