The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox

The Accidental Demon Slayer - Angie Fox

This one is FREE today (9/29/14).  I didn't like it all that much but I'm a grouch with terrible taste in books :). One of my closest friends loved it and you may too.

Lizzie, a young school teacher discovers she's from a line of witches and that she's the latest "demon slayer" and has a destiny she's never known about. One minutes she's teaching little kids, the next her little doggie is talking to her and she's plopped on a Harley with a grandma she's only known for minutes and is expected to slay demons with next to no training and, of course, there's a hunky guy thrown in to save the day.

This book started out cutesy enough but devolved into a crazy, unexplained mess. Grandma is dragged into the second layer of hell and Lizzie must rescue her. Why? Don't ask me, I still can't make sense of it. And when the dog starts talking we are told by way of the dog as a way of explanation something along the lines of: "Oh he's been talking all along, Lizzie just now started listening." Sorry, not buying that lame explanation. There are many other issues such as this that make the book feel like it's mid series when in actuality it's the first in a new series. Not helping matters is the problem of Lizzie ineptness and dependence on others to bail her out, she's also boring and constantly bad mouths her adoptive parents for silly reasons that make her sound like a spoiled, ungrateful brat. It gets old fast and is so frustrating.

This is not a book for those who like things to make sense but I guess it's decent enough of a read if you don't think too hard on any of it. I doubt I'll go out of my way to find the later books that complete the series.