World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War - Max Brooks

Everyone seems to love and adore this book but I have to admit it pretty much bored me from beginning to end. I am either burned out, have no taste at all or have lost all interest in what everyone else finds fascinating. I realize it's probably a case of #2 and I'm perfectly okay with that. If you are reading this somewhere, someday on the book page and are easily offended by any negativity aimed at your favorite book save yourself some grief and click away before it's too late.

World War Z is written in a series of interviews as I'm sure everyone but me knew going in. The interviews take place after the zombie invasion and resulting World War Z have occurred. Initially the interviews were somewhat interesting but it wasn't long before I began to lose interest. I couldn't grab on to any of the many characters because as soon as I started to get invested in their story their segment was OVER and the interviewer would move along to someone else. I just realized that this format does not work for me. I just wish I had realized it before I wasted so many hours trying my best to like this book.

There was also so much freaking babbling about political corruption, corporate corruption, medical corruption, military action, blah blah blah, that I was tuning out more than I was tuning in. Maybe I'm weird but this wasn't at all what I was expecting when I picked up this book. The human element was almost entirely missing. And so were the zombies. I really wish some of the "interviews" had taken place during "World War Z" instead of after the fact. If you ask me (and I know you didn't) this book needed a dose of action and maybe a few interviews with the recently undead.

I love a great plague story like A Parcel of Patterns or Year of Wonders but this wasn't one of those either. There were small snippets dealing with survival after the outbreak but it wasn't the focus. There wasn't really a focus here and I guess that's the main problem for me. Maybe I just need to come out and admit that I don't enjoy the "oral history" thing. That's probably it. I really hated Rant by Chuck P which is another "oral history" but I'm pretty sure I despised that one for entirely different reasons (the least of all that it was gross just to be gross).

Sadly I have to admit that The World War Z movie was much more focused, tense and had that human element that I require which almost never happens.

I'm beginning to worry that I may never love another book again and should change my blog name to BarkMoreWagLess.