Mosquitoes by Marc R. Soto

Mosquitoes - Marc R. Soto, Steven Porter

This is a short story which I just learned was originally written in Spanish and translated. I would’ve never realized this because the translation was so smooth. Thinking on it, this story definitely has that slowly growing sense of dread, no child is safe, dream-like vibe down perfectly. If you’ve seen some of my favorite Guillermo del Toro films “The Orphanage”, “The Devil’s Backbone” or “Pan’s Labyrinth” you’ll know what I mean. If you haven’t, and you like this sort of thing, you should give them a watch. They’re awesome, amazing, creepy and emotionally devastating.

Now back to Mosquitoes.

David is a ten year old boy who is bitten by a mosquito. Stroking the bug bite distracts him all day while at school. Later that evening, when the itch has started to ease, he hopes the mosquito comes back to give him a new bite because that tingling felt really good. It’s all a bit weird and a little off and quietly disturbing, if you ask me. Anyway, David gets his wish and a whole lot more and that’s all I’m saying about that.

David fancies himself in love with his favorite teacher Miss Marcano. Miss Marcano has been very upset this past week because she has discovered her husband is a cheating whoreson. She stews in her grief and anger rather than confronting him. That’s never a good plan, ladies.

Things come to a horrifying and startling conclusion. I highly recommend this strange little story, with its unsettling sexual undertones and unpredictable plot. It’s bloody and nasty and features an imperfect protagonist with a dark past (which I always enjoy) and it was like nothing else I’ve read recently.