The Time Machine by H.G. Wells (audiobook) Review

The Time Machine - Derek Jacobi, H.G. Wells Meat - Joseph D'Lacey

The Time Machine (1960) was one of my favorite movies as a child. I guess I was a weird little girl because I absolutely lived for the days when I could find it on the tv on weekends. For some reason, I never did get around to reading the source material until now. And a big Thank You to SYNC for offering this audio up for free this past summer.

My first thought when starting this audio and hearing The Time Traveler’s wizened voice as he was blathering on about his stuffy dinner party plans was, “Uh oh, this is going to put me to sleep.”

I was wrong.

It starts out a little dry but it doesn’t stay that way for long. The host soon shares with his guests a strange and difficult to believe tale of time travel and gives them a frightening and disturbing glimpse of the far out future where he discovers humanity has evolved into two distinct classes and that there really is no such thing as Utopia.

I’m not going to give it all away if you are one of the few who haven’t read it or seen either version of the movie (I recommend the 1960 version). I loved this story. It was imaginative and entertaining and still accessible even though it was written in 1895. Wow. I still can’t believe that.

You should read it. Or better yet listen to this audio version read by Sir Derek Jacobi. He does a fabulous job voicing the time traveler even though, I have to say this, his aged voice made the time traveler seem a bit like a lecher whenever child-like Weena was cuddling and caressing him . . . Still, worth a listen.

As a companion to this, I’d like to recommend MEAT by Joseph D’Lacey but only if you have a very strong stomach.